Friday, January 27, 2012
Eelpout Festival Facts
I am twitching I am so excited. I got my official Eelpout button yesterday. For $10, I got a chance at winning a Ice Castle custom fishhouse and other prizes, and I am helping to fund future Eelpout Festivals. So, since I can't get it out of my head, I thought I would throw some Eelpout facts out there for ya!
- Started in 1979 as the brainchild of Walker resident Ken Bresley, the Annual International Eelpout Festival began as a way to try and lure visitors up to Leech Lake during the winter months.
- There was 700 people at the first Eelpout Festival
- The original cost of a button was $3 (now $10)
- Unique Events that happen - Events such as Ice Drilling, Eelpout On-Ice Auto Race, Polar Plunge, Sled Dog Rides.
- The International Eelpout Festival brings more than 10,000 people to Walker every year
- Leech Lake is MN's 3rd Largest Lake
- It has gotten so big, it is now sponsored by brands like Coors Light, Mike's Hard Lemonade, Ice Castle Fish Houses, Red Bull, Northern Lights Casino, Aqua Vu and more
I will try and dig up some more facts the closer we get to the big day. Theres still time to book a flight or find a cabij in the area. You don't want to miss out!